Stichting Bedrijfspensioenfonds voor de Koopvaardij (Dutch Merchant Navy's Company Pension Fund – Bpf Koopvaardij) handles the pension scheme for the merchant navy sector. If you receive a pension or if you are building up pension at Bpf Koopvaardij, your personal data are stored. Not only at our fund, but also at MN, the company that administers our pension scheme.
We attach great importance to the protection of your privacy and the security of your data. You can therefore be sure that we handle your details carefully and confidentially and that your data are properly secured.
The rules for protecting your personal data are laid down in the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The Dutch Data Protection Authority (DPA) ensures that this legislation is complied with. Bpf Koopvaardij meets the requirements of the GDPR. This statement explains how.
What are personal data?
Personal data are data that can be traced back to an individual person. Examples include your name, address, date of birth, telephone number and e-mail address. But they may also include your salary details. We register, for instance, the following data for members, former members and pensioners:
- name, address, telephone number, e-mail address
- date of birth
- Citizen Service Number (CSN)
- salary details
- employment details (e.g. number of working hours, name of employer/employers)
- type of pension scheme that you are a member of
- financial details (e.g. IBAN, payment method and debit details)
- information about relations (e.g. information about your partner, ex-partner and/or children)
- marriage details (e.g. marriage certificate, cohabitation agreement)
- details of your pension benefit or entitlements
- direct contact details
- contact details of your employer
- IP addresses
- telephone calls; and
- details about complaints/disputes
We obtain these details from you or your employer, as well as from the Employee Insurance Agency (if you are occupationally disabled) or from your municipality (persons database).
Special personal data
If you are fully or partially occupationally disabled, you are entitled to full or partial exemption from paying the pension contribution. For that purpose, we register the percentage of disability determined for you by the Employee Insurance Agency. Needless to say, we take extra care in handling this information and it is available only for the performance of the work in question.
Whose personal data do we process?
We process the personal data of all persons, and any partners and children, who are building up or have built up a pension at our fund or who are receiving a pension from us. 1 We also register the personal data of the members of the administrative bodies of the pension fund, contact persons of the employers, regulators, suppliers and other persons or businesses who or that perform work for us.
Remember: if you as an employer or business supply us with the personal data of your staff, you will be obliged in accordance with the GDPR to inform your staff of such.
For what purpose do we use your personal data?
Bpf Koopvaardij believes that your data or data about you are your property. We therefore use your personal data only for the purpose for which you or your employer has supplied them to us or for which we have collected your data. We describe these purposes below:
- in order to be able to administer the pension scheme;
- to comply with legal obligations arising from, for instance, the Dutch Pensions Act or the Dutch Wages and Salaries Tax Act;
- to be able to respond to a question, suggestion or a complaint from you;
- if you have indicated that you wish to receive a paper or digital newsletter from us;
- to perform an analysis for statistical purposes. In doing so, we record your data in such a way that it is not possible to trace your individual behaviour from this information;
- to prevent fraud.
We do not keep your personal data for longer than necessary. If the law obliges us to keep data (e.g. tax legislation or the Pensions Act), we do so. We can also retain your data for longer for our archive if it is necessary in order to perform our work properly. In that case, we take measures to protect your privacy.
What are your rights?
You are entitled to inspect your personal data and to have them corrected (in the case of any inaccuracies), restricted or to have them permanently removed. You can also request us to stop using your personal data for certain purposes. For corrections or the removal of your data, you can submit a request stating the reasons to:
2509 GA The Hague
If you wish to inspect your personal data, they will not be issued to you until we are sufficiently satisfied of your identity. We impose this requirement in order to protect your privacy to best effect.
Remember that we need your data in order to arrange your pension.
To which parties are your personal data issued?
We do not issue data to third parties unless this is permitted on the basis of law, or unless it is obligatory and/or necessary, e.g. for the national pension register or in the case of fraud. In all cases, your data are used only in accordance with the GDPR or the Pensions Act.
Your data are accessible only to the staff of MN, in so far as required for the performance of their work. We ensure that third parties do not have access to your personal data.
Recording of Service Desk telephone conversations
Bpf Koopvaardij has a Service Desk. If you call us or if we call you, we can record the telephone conversation. We do so for training and coaching purposes and to improve the quality of our services. You will be informed of the recording prior to the conversation. The 2 recordings will not be kept for longer than strictly necessary or required by law. These recording too are not accessible to unauthorised persons.
What cookies are used and when is permission required?
Our website uses the following cookies:
• Functional cookies: these cookies are required from a technical point of view to allow the website to function as effectively as possible. You do not have to grant permission for these cookies.
• Analytics cookies: these cookies allow us to update information regarding visits to the website, which means we can improve the ease of use. In this case too, you do not need to grant permission.
Using the browser settings on your computer, you can remove any cookies that have been placed and you can disable the placing of new cookies. The way in which this happens differs per browser. You will find more information in your browser settings. It may be that the website does not function optimally is you opt to disable the cookies on the website.
Amendments to the privacy statement
Bpf Koopvaardij reserves the right to amend this privacy statement. Needless to say, we will amend the privacy statement, if necessary, on the basis of legislative amendments and court rulings. We therefore advise you to consult this text regularly when you visit our website.