Text Size

Living outside the Netherlands

If you do not live in the Netherlands, there are several matters that you must take into account. For instance, we no longer receive certain details from your municipality. There are also consequences for your state pension and taxes. It is important to submit your address details to the Dutch Register of Non-Residents (RNI).

Submit your address to the Register of Non-Residents

If you live in or relocate to a foreign country, submit your address details to the Register of Non-Residents (RNI). You can do so via one of the RNI municipalities. We will then automatically receive your new address abroad. Visit the central government website for more information.


When you pass away

When you pass away, your surviving dependants must report this themselves to our Service Desk. We will then ask them to supply certain information, including a copy of the death certificate. Within two weeks of receipt, we will send them an application form for the partner's pension. If your partner meets the conditions, he or she will receive a partner’s pension from Bpf Koopvaardij.

Your children will in any event receive an orphan’s pension until they reach the age of 18. If your child is studying or following vocational training, the benefit will stop when your child reaches the age of 27. You will find the amount of the partner's and orphan's pension at My Koopvaardij. You will also see this on your Uniform Pension Overview (UPO).

What are other important aspects if you are working?

Are you planning to get married or enter into a registered partnership in a foreign country?

Then you must register your partner at Bpf Koopvaardij. That is important for the partner's pension that you are building up with us. Your partner will receive this pension when you die. For more information, visit Relationship and pension.

The amount of your state pension (AOW)

In the Netherlands, everyone receives a pension from the government: the state pension. In the years that you live in a foreign country, you do not build up a state pension. If you want to obtain a full state pension benefit when you retire, you can take out voluntary additional insurance at the Dutch Social Insurance Bank (SVB) or purchase the missing years of state pension. For more information, visit the SVB website. Here, you will also find the age at which you will receive the state pension.

The country in which you live may also have a government pension (such as the state pension in the Netherlands). Ask the authorities about this in the country in question.